Thursday 2 February 2012

On The Name of the Wind


Because I've been pretty ill (even though it's just a cold, I'm a wuss with colds) I read this yesterday/today because according to some blogs and "50 best..." lists it is meant to be an exceptionally good read. I found it to be very good, originally told, well written, gripping, etc. etc. but I really don't think that it deserves the amount of praise it gets. As you can probably tell by earlier posts I'm a fantasy fanatic, my guilty pleasure is nerding out and reading a good series in the space of a week. I've read some spectacular series that are so much better than this that haven't got mentions in the lists and blogs I perused to come up with this title. I wondered why and the only thing I could come up with is, don't get me wrong I really enjoyed reading this, that it is sort of... simplified? It doesn't contain technical language or a complex storyline. It doesn't really make you think at all. It's the sort of book that people would dub "beach reads" in my opinion.

Either way, it suited excellently to a sick person in bed for two days with no TV and I will definitely be finishing the series. Luckily for me my mum's bought them all on my Amazon account so they're all ready on my Kindle. Glad that all uni assignments/exams are over and I can actually get back to doing some reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment